Friday, April 5, 2013

namesake‏

Read Numbers 25 HERE.

It’s a short chapter and it will make you feel better about punting already on your 2013 Bible read-through aspirations.

10 And theLord said to Moses,11 “Phinehas the son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the people of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy.12 Therefore say, ‘Behold, I give to him my covenant of peace,13 and it shall be to him and to his descendants after him the covenant of a perpetual priesthood, because he was jealous for his God and made atonement for the people of Israel.’”

I adore Phinehas.

I suspect it is likely a result of my cowardice. I look up to strong men who act in confidence and assurance in their pursuit of God. I often hesitate, second-guess, question, wonder, procrastinate, etc…

Phinehas loved God and acted as he saw fit.

One of the most remarkable observations in this passage is that God honors Phinehas. This is a descriptive text, not a prescriptive one. That is to say Phinehas’ actions are not the Biblical prescription on dealing with adultery. However, it describes an event and God’s gavel with regard to it. The verdict? Honorable.

Additionally, I love that Phinehas’ violent act is rewarded by God with a covenant of peace. God offers Phinehas peace in response to Phinehas explosive zeal for God’s honor.

I love Phinehas.
I love that Phinehas loved God.
I love that God loved Phinehas.

I pray my son would grow up to be loved by God, to love Him in return, experience His covenant of peace and rest in Christ as a result of his zeal and exertion to make much of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment