Friday, April 19, 2013

loose lips sink ships (and apparently apostles)

Matthew 14:30-31

30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him,“O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
 
Jesus rebuked Peter’s lack of faith, but did not let Peter drown because of his lack of faith.
 
Peter’s faith was criticized by Jesus for being “little” NOT “absent” altogether.
 
Apparently a “little” faith is enough to do miraculous things by the grace of God for in our weakness He is magnified the more.
 
It is also a great comfort to me in reading this morning that we can be bold and courageous in Christ solely on the assurance of knowing that He is mighty to save and compassionate to actually do so when our faith is shaken by “the storms of life.”
 
My faith need not be the anchor of my hope.
My faith can be shaken.
Jesus CANNOT.
 
I love that Jesus reached out His hand to Peter in response to Peter’s cry.
 
Peter sank.
Jesus DIDN’T.
 
Peter did not need “walk on water” faith or “new car” faith.
Peter needed Jesus to save him.
 
Jesus could help Peter because Jesus NEVER SINKS.
 
In Him, we too may stand fully confident before God, forever.
 
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
 
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand.
 
When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;

In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

No comments:

Post a Comment