Monday, April 29, 2013

wordsmithin': obeisance‏

Extra! Extra! Read all about it HERE.
 
o·bei·sance n.
 
1. A gesture or movement of the body, such as a curtsy, that expresses deference or homage.
2. An attitude of deference or homage
 
I first came across this word while reading my trusty, rusty RSV. When God first found me, He also lit my little head on fire with desire to read His Word. I had an RSV sitting around from my past connection to the RCA so I began reading.
 
According to BibleGateway, it first appears (if reading cover to cover) in the RSV in,
 
Genesis 43:28
 
They said, “Your servant our father is well, he is still alive.” And they bowed their heads and made obeisance.
 
It makes sense as a word since it has the sound “obey” as part of its pronunciation. So it sounds like what it is: obeying or showing that you are willing to obey the commands of the one to whom you are showing obeisance.
 
Joseph’s brothers deferred to Pharaoh’s right-hand man.
 
Little did they know that they were fulfilling the prophecy of their kid brother from years before.
 
We will all fall at the feet of Jesus.
 
 
Each and every either in adoration or devastation.

No comments:

Post a Comment