Thursday, April 18, 2013

wordsmithin': impetuous‏

Extra! Extra! Read all about it HERE.

im·pet·u·ous ~ adj.

1.Characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate.
2.Having or marked by violent force:

I loved this word the first time I heard it though I’m quite certain I had no idea what it meant.

It just sounds neato mosquito or “neats mosquits” (neetz moskeetz).

Abbreves?
evs
NBD.

So anywho…

I thought of this word recently when thinking about our run-head-first friend, Peter.

Matthew 14:28

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”

Peter was nothing if not passionate.

More often than not, I find myself using this word to describe the negative default of our childlike tendency to think with our deceptive, little hearts.

We often run toward desire without discernment.

In some seasons, the Spirit sets us on fire at the hearing of His Words.


1 Thessalonians 5:19


Do not quench the Spirit.


I am not saying that we should exclusively act without thinking and/or plod along with planning.

However, in response to the Spirit we would do better to be more impetuous in response to His pursuit and less pragmatic in response to our panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment