Friday, December 15, 2017

day no. 14,298: the next available excuse

Exodus 4:13
But Moses said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.”

Finally, the heart of the matter is exposed. It wasn't that Moses needed the power of a sign in order to feel equipped or that he needed the eloquence of speech in order to feel empowered, it was the fact that underneath all of it, he didn't want to. Isn't that how it is? You don't want to do something, but you don't want to say that you don't want to do something, so you make a convenient excuse that allows you to not do the thing you didn't want to do without looking like the kind of person who didn't want to do it. Until you meet someone who is for you and helps remove the excuse you used. Then you scramble for the next available excuse and again that person skillfully and lovingly addresses it. So all you are left with if you insist on pushing back is the cold, hard, underlying truth, "I don't want to!" 

1 comment:

  1. I totally am like this. I make all kinds of semi-valid excuses for why I shouldn't have to do what I ultimately just don't want to do.

    ReplyDelete