Wednesday, April 16, 2014

day no. 12,959: cashing in a lifetime of worry‏

Luke 12:25-26
 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
 
My friend Tim observed the following in response to this passage.
 
This is such perfect wisdom. The truth is, the accumulation of a lifetime of worry can be cashed in for a lifetime of stress and a reduction in your physical life span, as well as the destruction of your emotional health.
 
I've always heard and repeated the idea of "worry" as motivator. I don't think that's really worry (especially not as Jesus is describing). This motivator, I would say is better described as awareness. When I have a project coming up at work, an awareness of the deadline and tasks to be completed keeps me motivated. If the awareness turns into thoughts of concern, and then in to desperation and worry - I can't say that I'm motivated by the awareness anymore - just discouraged - believing Satan's lie.
 
An accumulation of a lifetime of worry can be cashed in for a lifetime of stress and destruction.
 
Well stated Tim.
 
Additionally, I loved his careful treatment of worry and awareness.
 
Awareness is productive in disciplining godliness and contentment.
 
Worry is destructive anxiety that results in reduced productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment