Sunday, June 2, 2019

day no. 14,832: rub some dirt on it

Proverbs 24:16
The righteous falls seven times and rises again, 
but the wicked stumble in times of calamity.

As I have previously mentioned HERE, HERE and HERE, I want my family to be more dangerous. I want to raise boys that slay dragons and giants. I want to raise ladies who stand resilient in the face of a world of lies and nonsense. But raising kids to be dangerous, pointy arrows to strike into the heart of the darkness, means being the kind of parents who are OK with their kids experiencing the bumps and bruises required to grow more resilient and dangerous. If my kids are going to be anti-fragile, they are not only going to have to endure adversity, but embrace it.

I want to provide and protect them as a father should, but also prepare and equip them the way a father should. It's a tension to manage and I default toward protection, so it takes work for me to work against my nature and aim at preparation. I need to let them fall sometimes in order to teach them how to get back up. They need to learn that skill since life is full of sin and struggle and trouble and the skill of getting back up again is a learned one.

Proverbs 24:10
If you faint in the day of adversity,
your strength is small.

No comments:

Post a Comment