Monday, June 3, 2019

day no. 14,833: antifragile, the art of embracing adversity

Men’s Ministry
Antifragility
November 2, 2018


BIG IDEAS: adversity is an opportunity for men to advance
GOSPEL: the world is better because Jesus embraced His appointed adversity

SCENARIO: FOOTBALL GAME ON DEFENSE
Limit the number of yards the other team gains
Stop them from gaining any yards
Gain field position for your team by pushing them back
BUT STRATEGY CANNOT BE "HOPE THEY DON'T PLAY OFFENSE"
b/c the other team is going to run their best plays
1 PETER 4:12
Do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you –
as though something strange were happening to you.
SO ADVERSITY IS A GIVEN, BUT OUR RESPONSE ISN'T
If you simply assume we will rise to the occasion, you probably won't
1 KINGS 20:11
Let not him who straps on his armor boast himself as he who takes it off.
 the time for boasting is AFTER… not BEFORE
Q: SO IN THE MEANTIME, WHAT DO WE DO? WAIT AROUND?
NO! Prepare.
           "the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
THE TIME FOR PRODUCING BULLETS IS NOT WHEN YOU'RE UNDER FIRE
Ex: build walls, build emergency fund, study theology, date your wife
PROVERBS 24:10 If you faint in the day of adversity,
       your strength is small.

1 – FRAGILE: everything is fine… until it isn't
CHARACTER: Achilles
RESULT: Adversity produces loss
2 – RESILIENT: everything is fine if I'm holding the line
CHARACTER: Phoenix
RESULT: Adversity can be endured without loss
3 – ANTIFRAGILE: I don't want just fine anymore
CHARACTER: Hydra
RESULT: Adversity produces gain
SO GIVEN THAT, WE SHOULD NOT ONLY EXPECT ADVERSITY,
BUT EMBRACE IT
JAMES 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,
3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect
and complete, lacking in nothing.
AREAS OF APPLICATION:
FAITH
Fragile – false doctrine could lead you into denying or redefining  faith
Resilient – false doctrine is defended against and faith survives intact
Antifragile – false doctrine leads to refined faith
FINANCES
Fragile – adversity leads to poverty
Resilient – adversity is absorbed
Antifragile – adversity leads to creativity
FAMILY/FRIENDS
Fragile – sin produces insecurity and weakness
Resilient – sin is survived w/ relationship in tact
Antifragile – sin produces greater strength and security

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
Q: In what areas of my life am I fragile? (Faith, Finances, Family/Friends, etc…)
Q: In what areas of my life am I resilient? (not failing, but not thriving/growing)
Q: In what areas of my life am I antifragile? (stronger because of adversity)
Q: What battle plans do I have in place to deal with adversity?
Q: What battles is God calling me to in this season of life?
Q: What battles wear me out?
Q: What battles give me energy?
Q: Are there any battles I'm hoping someone else will fight for me?
Q: Are there battle plans I've discovered that I should be sharing with others?
Q: Are there any battles I'm fighting that require back-up?
Q: Do I know somebody that I can call upon for help?
Q: Am I somebody that someone else can call upon to help?
Q: What could I be doing now to make myself better equipped to help others?

No comments:

Post a Comment