Monday, May 27, 2019

day no. 14,826: blood on three

On Saturday, May 18, I listened to the following podcast while running on the treadmill that afternoon.

When the World is Rated R (GA 2019) by N.D.Wilson from Christ Church in Podcasts.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/christ-church/id1166376725?i=1000437354124

or video below:

In this talk N.D. Wilson made the comment in passing that the family's rally cry ought to be something equivalent to, "blood on three!"

This sentiment resonated deeply within me and I immediately began thinking of ways to apply and implement this orienting principle. 

I introduced my kids to the idea during dinner conversation walking them through the big idea and making comments like, "We are out for blood. We huddle up so that we can throw down." 

The throwing down I had in mind and articulate to my family was of that kind and quality Paul explains in 2 Corinthians 10:4-6...

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 6 being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.

Van Voorsts are Christians and we were made to inflict as much damage upon the darkness as possible. We are called to make those lofty, high-minded ivory towers into rubble. 

Later that evening, by happenstance, I was listening to some AC/DC with my family to watch Callista dance. After a few tunes, I thought of Paige's favorite, "If You Want Blood" since it is in the movie Empire Records.

As we were listening, I realized that this song complemented our newly implemented rally cry.



The following morning on Tim Bayly's Twitter he posted this verse.

Jeremiah 48:10
Cursed is he who does the work of the LORD with slackness, 
and cursed is he who keeps back his sword from bloodshed.

Now having recently listened to Voddie Baucham on Christian decision making and finding the will of God, I knew enough not to make the leap that these tea leaves were God's hidden will for me and my family manifesting itself, but I do think it was a "buy a red Taurus, begin seeing red Tauruses everywhere" kinda deal. Not that these run ins with "blood" were trying to tell me something, but my recently adoption of "blood on three" was producing ample opportunity to implement and reinforce it in my family.

We don't want to be of those who keep their swords back from blood.

It's all new and will likely develop some nuance as it becomes more part of our mantra, but it's a fun and I'm excited to see where it all goes.

One immediate application in language vision leaking into mission was later that night Laurelai mentioned to me before bed that she was scared of the dark. I replied, "Laurelai, you have no reason to be afraid of the dark. The dark is afraid of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment