Friday, July 27, 2018

day no. 14,522: the weight of weakness

I came across this quote from Spurgeon the other day...

God doesn’t need your strength; He has more than enough of power of His own. He asks your weakness; He has none of that Himself." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

It reminded me of these verses...

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

The orientation of all existence is doxology. In other words, the chief end of all things is to bring glory to God. If our strengths stand in the way of His glory, they are our weaknesses. If our weaknesses bring God glory, they are our strengths. If our chief end is in line with His chief end for us, we accept and receive whatever His hand provides or withholds as our greatest good since our aim is His greatest glory. He is not lacking glory that He needs our adoration, rather we are lacking in giving that His glory may become our chief end.


No comments:

Post a Comment