Thursday, March 20, 2014

day no. 12,932: addressing the elephant in the womb‏

Psalm 51:5

Indeed, I was guilty when I was born;
I was sinful when my mother conceived me.
 
It’s not your mom’s fault per se.
 
I mean the options were either you be born a sinner or you be not born at all.
 
Sinners produce sin.
Sinners reproduce sinners.

Ephesians 2:3
 
We too all previously lived among them in our fleshly desires, carrying out the inclinations of our flesh and thoughts, and we were by nature children under wrath as the others were also.
 
By nature, we are children under wrath. You may say that babies are innocent, but that’s because you think sin is mainly a list of do’s and don’ts (and likely you think you’re doing pretty well with both as far as you’re concerned). Sin isn’t just something we do or don’t do.It’s something we are. It’s the desire to orient and bend the world around us to our will and whims. Babies come out from the get-go experts on doing what they want, when they want to and screaming at anyone who would interfere. Don’t get me wrong. I love kids. But I don’t love them in ignorance. I love them as the little sinners they are. I love them enough to point them to Jesus (even now). I don’t waste words in punting on the subject of sin until later on in life after they’ve established the idea in their minds that they are great and God’s gift to the world around them. My goal isn’t to make them feel like less, but to help them see Jesus as greater.

John 1:12-13
 
12But to all who did receive Him,
He gave them the right to be children of God,
to those who believe in His name,
13 who were born,
not of blood,

or of the will of the flesh,
or of the will of man,
but of God.
 
We are born bad.
 
We do bad.
We be bad.
 
But God made a way by grace through faith in Jesus to BECOME His children.
 
My goal for my kids is that they would be adopted by God.
 
I love being their dad.
I adore it.
 
But not at the expense of hoping that they reject the Fatherhood of God offered by faith in receiving Jesus on their behalf and believing in His Name above all other names.
 
My kids were born by the will of Todd.
 
That’s cool and all.
 
There are lots of kids who feel unwanted or who, even worse, actually were unwanted, or worse yet remain unwanted by their moms and/or dads.
 
But being wanted by me is not enough.
 
Being born by the will of Todd does not eternal life produce.
 
Sin is real.
Sin is serious.
 
Without Jesus, there is no hope for those who die under wrath. They will remain under wrath forever without the comforts of His gracious, protective hand they experienced in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment