Tuesday, March 4, 2014

day no. 12,916: let your "yes" be "yes," and your "no" be "no"

Matthew 5:37

But let your word ‘yes’ be ‘yes,’ and your ‘no’ be ‘no.’ Anything more than this is from the evil one.

I was convicted by this verse this morning.

I think I often times qualify my “Yes” and “No” in order to hedge other’s perception of me (or at least that is my desire in qualifying my reply).

If I have to say, “No,” I feel this desire to make it, “No, but I would if I could.”

Now, there is not always anything particularly wrong with saying that, but it is sometimes a need to make sure that I can have my cake and eat it too.

Here’s what I mean: I want to be able to say, “No” but I also want you to feel like I’m the kind of person who would say, “Yes.”

Two birds = one stone

Bird #1 (let’s call him Tweety): I don’t want to do thing you asked.
Bird #2 (let’s call her Polly): I want you to feel towards me the feelings you would have if I had agreed.

Oh, this sinful heart and fragile mind that so quickly regresses to sinful, mistrusting means of navigating life.

Lord, forgive me for my wicked heart and deformed mind.

Renew my mind.
Reform my heart.

Make me new that I might not sin against You.

No comments:

Post a Comment