Tuesday, January 22, 2013

penal substitutionary atonement‏

My Utmost for His Highest offered this thought:

The great miracle of the grace of God is that He forgives sin, and it is the death of Jesus Christ alone that enables the divine nature to forgive and to remain true to itself in doing so.It is shallow nonsense to say that God forgives us because He is love. Once we have been convicted of sin, we will never say this again. The love of God means Calvary— nothing less! The love of God is spelled out on the Cross and nowhere else. The only basis for which God can forgive me is the Cross of Christ. It is there that His conscience is satisfied.

God does not forgive our sins because He loves us so much that He can’t help Himself. He is not so infatuated with us that He simply overlooks sin in order to have us. He is not so enamored with us that He pretends we are something we are not.
 
God is love.
God does love us.

Romans 5:8
8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!

In Christ’s death, God can justify the ungodly.

Before the Throne says it this way:

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.

Because a sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied

To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me
 
If you have followed my blog for any amount of time, this will sound very repetitious.
 
I am not sorry.
 
In concert with Peter, it is my pleasure to pound this nail over and over.
It may not be anything new, but anchors don’t need to be new; they need to hold.

2 comments:

  1. Can one hear of the Cross too much?

    Hardly.

    Thanks, very much.


    theoldadam.com

    ReplyDelete