Thursday, January 18, 2018

day no. 14,332: set apart

Exodus 8:22-23
But on that day I will set apart the land of Goshen, where my people dwell, so that no swarms of flies shall be there, that you may know that I am the Lord in the midst of the earth. 23 Thus I will put a division between my people and your people. Tomorrow this sign shall happen.

This is the theme of Exodus, "set apart." God is actively setting apart Israel from Egypt and he wants Egypt and Israel to know it. He doesn't want anyone mistaking this for coincidence or happenstance. This is intentional. There is a reason. Israel will not experience what Egypt will and He's telling everyone ahead of time so that when it happens anyone can explain what will clearly be seen. There will be division. There will be a difference. When it comes to God, "mine and yours" are categorically different with zero overlap. "Mine and yours" are distinct, separate, and set apart as though a great chasm has been fixed by one greater than the chasm itself.

1 comment:

  1. I was recently struck by this thought as well! There could not have been more tangible differences between the two. I wonder if it just stirred rage in the Egyptians to look up and see the sun shining in Goshen.

    ReplyDelete