Friday, January 5, 2018

day no. 14,319: today was a good day, didn't even have to use my 401k

Psalm 20
This song is for us by us. 

This song is not something you would pray for those who do not love Jesus. I remember being part of a men's group where one man in particular would often pray for the people he knew to "have a good day." I remember also thinking, "I don't want everyone to have a good day." For example, I would not pray, "Lord, please help radical Islamists to have a good day." A good day for them may be finally getting a confessing Christian to recant their beliefs after torturing them. I DO NOT hope that they have a good day. I hope and pray that they, by their own standards, have bad days. I used to pray the same way for Shane and Rita. They were two Jehovah's Witnesses who came to my apartment door one day and with whom my wife and I engaged in conversation over the course of a few weeks. I knew that they were not just spending time in my living room and would actively pray that their door to door efforts to convince others to follow the Watchtower Organization would be frustrated and impotent, producing no fruit for their efforts, in other words, I was praying that they would always be having a bad day.

Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses, some trust in GPAs, some trust in 401ks, some trust in know how and some trust in how they know, but we trust in the Name of the Lord our God. That is my team. That is our heritage. They are the people who write songs like this and pray prayers like this for one another. May God richly and abundantly deliver us from those who trust in lesser gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment