Tuesday, January 28, 2014

day no. 12,881: 2013: the year in books‏

I didn’t get to read as much as I would have liked this year. With a reduced commute, I wasn’t able to delegate as much of my “reading” time to driving time, but that’s OK. I will always have books I want to read and books I want to read AGAIN. I like reading and I like learning. I like learning about new books to read. My main reading is devotional (My Utmost for His Highest daily), Bible (NT in a year read through plan), more Bible (OT on the weekends) and the reading for Connection Group leaders and PIT crew (Pastors In Training – a.k.a. Elder Team).
 
But I digress.
 
Here’s what my eyes looked at this year:
 
1. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
2. My Utmost for His Highest – Oswald Chambers
3. New Testament – Holy Spirit
4. Quitter – Jon Acuff
5. Just Do Something – Kevin DeYoung
6. Am I Called? – Dave Harvey
7. The Fisherman – Larry Huntsperger
8. Deep and Wide – Andy Stanley
9. Discipleshift – Jim Putman
10. Dangerous Journey – John Bunyan
11. Lone Survivor – Marcus Luttrell
12. The Treasure Principle – Randy Alcorn
13. The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name – Sally Lloyd-Jones
 
I have simply adored working through “Dangerous Journey” with the kids and could not recommend a single book other than the Bible more highly than I do this one for training and instructing children in the Gospel and obedience of the faith.
 
“Am I Called?” was a great book that helped me answer, “Yes,” this is what I want to do with my life.
 
“Lone Survivor” was given to me by Paul Sabino to read. So billy bad apple. Now I’m excited to see the movie (mind you I’m writing this on January 3rd so by the time this posts, I will likely have already seen the movie.).
 
“The Fisherman” was a super-interesting creative take on the life and discipleship of Peter. I found my eyes welling up on several occasions as Huntsperger fleshed out what it may have been like to live life next to Jesus in light of the living and walking Gospel.
 
So those were the books I read this past year. I’m sure many of them will appear again on next year’s list. I do love reading new books, but I don’t have much time and I have a few books that I love most.

No comments:

Post a Comment