Wednesday, August 7, 2013

so tell me what you want, what you really, really want‏

Oswald Chambers tells us what we want (zig-a-zig, ah!)

We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself. It is like saying, “No, Lord, I don’t want you;I want myself. But I do want You to clean me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I want to be on display in Your showcase so I can say, ’This is what God has done for me.’ ” Gaining heaven, being delivered from sin, and being made useful to God are things that should never even be a consideration in real surrender. Genuine total surrender is a personal sovereign preference for Jesus Christ Himself.
God is not your 6th out of 7th step to personal happiness and worry-free living. He’s not even the 1st step. He’s not even a step. He’s the reward: the aim.
It is not wrong to desire salvation, deliverance, utility, heaven, home, etc…
It is wrong to want them in a way that produces dissatisfaction with God when you fail to get them in the portion you pursue.
For example, if you desire deliverance to such a degree that you ditch God when deliverance is delayed, the problem is not with God, but with you.
I’m sorry.
I do love you.
I’m just not going to take your side against God on this one.
First of all, that’s ridiculous.
Additionally, we would both lose. 

To whom and for what are you willing to surrender?
Most of us only surrender to ourselves for the desires we have been trying to hold back by religious rigor. We cave in and click the link, utter the words, eat the cookie, etc…
We do, by nature, what we want.
We do, by will power, what we wish to wanted.
When our will power fails, we do what, by nature, we really want.
Why do you want God?
Do you want Him at all?
Do you still want Him when He withholds His hands?
Or do you merely miss His hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment