Friday, June 21, 2013

wordsmithin': volition‏

Extra! Extra! Read all about it HERE.
 
vo·li·tion ~n.
1.The act or an instance of making a conscious choice or decision.
2.A conscious choice or decision.
3.The power or faculty of choosing; the will.
 
I do not know where I was first introduced to this word, but I remember loving it.
 
I love the sound it makes.
I love that it feels powerful off the tongue.
I love that it starts with a “v.”
 
We see this concept of harnessing one’s volition for God and godliness in many famous passages:
 
Joshua 24:14-15
 
14 “Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve theLord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve theLord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
 
Deuteronomy 30:19-20

19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live,20 loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.”

We must make choices every day.
It is inescapable.
 
To choose not to choose is a choice.
We exercise our volition whether or not we put much effort into it or not.
 
I love my children.
I cannot choose Jesus for them.
I cannot act out of their volition.
 
I pray that Jesus would choose them and that this would be made manifest and observed through repentance, belief, faith and good works acted out from the volition of my children’s inner most, reborn beings. Good works and choosing do not a saint make, but those who are chosen by God demonstrate their election by acting upon the regenerated desires of a heart that longs to choose God in reciprocity.

No comments:

Post a Comment