Monday, August 27, 2012

Thoughts from the "Heidelberg Catechism, Question #26"

Question 26. What believest thou when thou sayest, "I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth"?

Answer: That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (who of nothing made heaven and earth, with all that is in them; who likewise upholds and governs the same by his eternal counsel and providence)  is for the sake of Christ his Son, my God and my Father;  on whom I rely so entirely, that I have no doubt, but he will provide me with all things necessary for soul and body and further, that He will make whatever evils he sends upon me, in this valley of tears turn out to my advantage;  for he is able to do it, being Almighty God, and willing, being a faithful Father.

God is the Author of everything and for those whom He has called, all things work together for good.

Because He is omnipotent and can do whatever He desires, He is able to bend all things to His will and to my good when I place my faith and trust in Him.

Because He is compassionate and willing, I can trust that He will use His omnipotence to bring Himself glory and me conformity to the image of His Son by the grace of His Spirit working within me.

I know people who have access to abundant resources, but even they do not have it all.  Their will is not done because they will it.  I also know people who have an earnest desire to help, but lack the resources to accomplish their desires. Their will is not done despite their sincerity. So then whether rich in resource or in sincerity, we cannot accomplish what we desire simply because we desire it.  It is not for lack of "want to," but for lack of sovereignty.

God is both capable and willing.  He CAN do whatever He wants and He is FAITHFUL to His children.  I love that He is both these. 

If He were only powerful and capable, but not willing or faithful, He would be One to run from, not to.  He would be overwhelming and one with Whom you hoped your path never to cross: in life or in death. 

If He were only willing and faithful, but impotent or powerless to accomplish His will, He would be One to whom we could run, but not in confidence or assurance of resolution in accord with our requests. 

Our God is able. 
Our God is faithful.
He can.
And He will.

No comments:

Post a Comment