Friday, August 31, 2012

Thoughts from the "1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith"

I was reading a blog and saw an advertisement on the right column for Reformed Baptist Seminary. I don't know why it never before occurred to me that Reformed and Baptist being combined into one was pretty much the most awesome thing ever.  If only because I am so drawn to both the systematic theology of Calvinism and the not-baptizing-babyism of Baptists.

Spurgeon is one of my favorites and he had ties to both the Baptist and Reformed traditions. 

Most Christians will read books written by Christians.  Fewer Christians will read the forementioned books and actually also read the Bible.  Even less will read books, the Bible, and doctrinal statements.  I am that odd breed that considers the last extremely interesting.  If I am turned on to a new church or pastor, I will often go to their website and read their doctrinal statement. 

I found this confession/doctrinal statement from the 1600's super encouraging.  You can read it HERE.

It's all there: election, sanctification, justification, marriage between one man and one woman, good works, etc...

It is not for the faint of heart.  If  you are one who struggles through the latter parts of Exodus and 1st and 2nd Chronicles, this may be difficult for you. To boot, it is in an older style of English as well, so it does take a certain degree of concentration in order to really grasp the fulness of what they are communicating as their doctrine of God and church and Christian life and liberty thereafter.

If you do not want to take the time to read this, read your home church's doctrinal statement off their webpage.  If you don't care what some dead English Reformed Baptists thought, I understand.  But you should care what your pastor and elders believe and what they hope to infuse into you and your family and your neighbors in attendance at your local gathering of sainted ain'teds. 

Doctrine may not be everyone's cup-o-tea and I get that, I really do.  It is, however, my cup-o-tea and I could see where you'd be grossed out having to drink tea from my cup.  While it may not get your heart racing or mind bubbling with activity, it should have some place in your life.  Some place of some priority that is. You may not like "doctrine," but as A.W. Tozer once said,

"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."

1 comment:

  1. i love that reading stuff like this IS your cup of tea - and that you can pass along the best bits to me, whose cup of tea it is not. :) i love that you're constantly washing me in the word.

    ReplyDelete