Thursday, August 30, 2012

The descending King's condescending friends

Ecclesiastes 3:14

I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.


We cannot add to what God has done or take away from that He desires. We are helpless against the sovereign LORD God Almighty and because of this we should be scared of Him to a certain degree.

Reverence is often lost in a "Jesus is my Homeboy" culture and we are ioften the worse for it.  The fact is that God does call us "friend" in Christ. And I love that.  I love worshipping Jesus and thinking of funny stuff that I do or He does and laughing along with Him at me in my pitiful state (and the pitiful state of most stuff Christians attempt to do that has already been done well by others).

Jesus is our friend. Jesus is our LORD. He is our friend on His terms.

Jesus said, "You are my friends if you do what I command you." ~ John 15:14

I am guessing you have never accepted the friendship of anyone on terms this bold and unbending before.

Imagine it with me:

"Hey, would you like to be my friend? You only have to do every and any thing I ever ask without exception.  If you do not accept these terms; we cannot be friends."

I suspect you have not proposed friendship to another with these words either, which is good, because you shouldn't accept or propose friendship with anyone on these terms.   Anyone not Jesus that is. And you are not Jesus.

Only Jesus can utter words this powerful, this divisive, this potent and not blush.  Only He deserves this kind of devotion.  Only He can rightly demand it.  Only He can rightly receive it.

You are neither holy enough to demand it rightly nor worthy enough to receive it wholly.

No comments:

Post a Comment