Monday, July 2, 2012

On Whom and in what do you trust?

I read in My Utmost for His Highest this morning the following words...

"No matter what changes God has performed in you, never rely on them. Build only on a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ, and on the Spirit He gives."

The Gospel is not about you.  It is about Jesus.  Do not have faith in what you have overcome or who you are now in Christ.  Have faith in the One who performed the changes.  Do not place confidence in the flesh that the Spirit has purchased.  Place trust in the Spirit's testimony of Jesus.

The Gospel urges you to forsake your former ways and abandon all hope of saving yourself.  Do not in believing this then rely and trust in the flesh to carry you through that which the flesh could not produce for you in the first place. 

Galatians 3:3

Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

2 comments:

  1. "Do not in believing this then rely and trust in the flesh to carry you through that which the flesh could not produce for you in the first place."

    Amen!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. I am so encouraged that the grace of God is breathing into me fresh life and zeal and joy in bringing these things to light. I have for far too long been a naive advocate in myself and in others of a certain Law/Gospel/Law cycle that leaves me crushed, seeking mercy, finding Jesus, and then being crushed again by my inability to overcome fully myself. This lesson is hard in learning, but God is faithful in teaching it to me. Thanks for reading!

      Delete