Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Day of Trouble

Does the LORD make the wicked for the day of trouble?

Proverbs 16:4

The LORD has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.


If it is your understanding that He would not or does not choose to do that. What do you do with verses like this?

I know that sounds arrogant and priggish. I'm sorry. I don't mean it to. I am genuinely curious as to how this verse is understood in a context where God makes everything, even the wicked. Then as though that were not provacative enough, the author states God makes the wicked FOR something: the day of trouble.

He didn't have to clarify. He could have just said that God makes the wicked.

This mystery is deeper and richer than a blanket dismissal based on your visceral reaction to it. I feel like a jerk repeating this because of my base fear of man, but it is what the Bible says.

Accuse me of wrongly interpretting it or reading into it. I can deal with being wrong.

Do not accuse the Bible of being wrong however, for if there is one thing I know, it is that it is correct.

Romans 3:4
Let God be true though every one were a liar

1 comment:

  1. i think it's pretty clear that god makes the wicked for the day of judgment; that he makes some as objects of wrath. i don't understand how that fits into the context of not wishing any to perish...i don't know. but like you said, if the bible says it, it is true. my inability to understand exactly how it all works does not make it less true.

    ReplyDelete