Saturday, August 29, 2020

day no. 15,286: laurelai rush, seven year old extraordinaire

Laurelai,

I am so happy to celebrate your birthday with you today. We are all so blessed to have had you as part of our family for the last seven years. You continue to grow up on the inside without growing much on the outside :) Your personality is developing and maturing and it is fun to watch you becoming who God made you to be. You are kind and caring and full of fun and frenzy. You love a good tickle and big hugs. You love to cuddle and you like it when I hold you during worship at church. You like to be able to see the stage and you like being close to me while we sing songs to our God.

You do not like for there to be tension between you and anyone and are often quick to confess sin or admit wrong in order to dispense with the tension. I have been praying for you lately though that you would embrace the right kind of tensions and not be at the mercy of others who seek to manipulate you through imposing tension upon you. I am praying that your desire to be a peacemaker would be first and foremost anchored in godliness so that the primary tension you seek to reconcile is the one between you and your God and out of that reconciliation to be free from the trappings of guilt manipulators in the world who would eagerly take advantage of a sensitive spirit like yours who desires to be at peace with others. Your desire for peace is good. But some will exploit that in order to do violence to you. I love being your dad and protecting you and helping you see the world God made, the world in which He has placed you and the wisdom He's given us to navigate it with a clear conscience before Him and others.

You do not let the day come to an end without a big hug before bed and most days you do not let me leave the house without sending me off with another big hug. My days are bookended by hugs from you and I love it. 

I am excited to see what seven looks like, what maturities God will grow in you, what new habits and preferences you will develop and I'm honored that I get to be your dad in watching all of them and having the responsibility to help shape them.

I love you, Laurelai. 
Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment