Saturday, June 9, 2018

day no. 14,474: principle and place; text and context

Leviticus 18:1-5
And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, I am the Lord your God. 3 You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes. 4 You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the Lord your God. 5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the Lord.

God didn't bring Israel to Egypt in order for them to become like Egyptians. And now God is leading them out of Egypt and into Canaan, but not for them to now become like Canaanites. It goes to show that we must always be careful to be guided by principle and not place, by the timeless Biblical text and not our current context. 

No comments:

Post a Comment