Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thoughts from the Rizers "John 14:27"

I was listening to the Rizers’ song “John 14:27” while I was working today.

I HIGHLY recommend you listen and purchase HERE.
“Yes,” I can listen to music on headphones while I work. It’s a hard-knock life.

And “Yes,” I listen to children’s music on my iPod playlist.

I adore the Rizers and their music. If you have not heard them, check them out HERE.

John 14:27

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


I was struck by the words, “I do not give to you as the world gives.”

It made me think, “How does the world give?”

Think about it. To whom, what, when, where, and why do you give?

Probably to people you think deserve it or have earned it, causes you feel are worthy, stuff for your personal enjoyment, when you feel like it, where people can see you doing it or when the person is most likely to reciprocate (or at least feel some pressure to do so), because you are trying to make up for inadequacies and things you withhold in others areas, out of obligation, out of bitterness, or because you want something in return.

Jesus gives to people who do not deserve it. He gives out of His abundance and generosity. He gives us the Holy Spirit and the fruits thereof. He does it while we are yet sinners and deserve nothing. He does it in history on a particular Cross on a specific day some 2,000 years ago at a specific place. He does it because He loves the elect - those on whom He has chosen to show His favor for eternity.

Jesus does not give as the world gives. That is so comforting and reassuring.

God’s thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways.

That gave me a great sense of peace today just chewing on it briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment