Friday, June 1, 2012

Post Script

1 Corinthians 16:21-24

21 I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. 22 If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. 24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.


 
Would you ever say anything like this out loud? Would you blog it? Would you include it in a status update?

People don't talk like this much anymore and those who do rarely follow up things like vs. 22 with things like vs. 23 and 24.

I suspect you do not judge Paul for writing this since it is in the Bible. I suspect you would, however, judge me if I were to say the very same thing.

Let's try:

I hope and pray that those who persecute the church may be persecuted and tortured forever by the hand of God. Make it so and make it soon Lord! I hope and pray that those who love Jesus and are being persecuted today would be given grace enough to endure and strength to preach the Gospel even as they are treated harshly. God bless the church and those called by the name of Jesus. Amen.

How'd that grab ya? Does it sound a bit much?

Sure that may be ok to think, but you still shouldn't say stuff like that. That sort of thing can be very offensive. You will never reach the lost with an attitude like that.

God used Paul and that attitude to reach the lost just fine as it turns out.
Perhaps it is your attitude with which God would find displeasure?

1 comment:

  1. i think you're so right that people tend to either pray the first half of that prayer or the second, but not both. and you're so right - paul reached the lost just fine; maybe we should take a lesson from that!

    ReplyDelete