Wednesday, October 18, 2023

day no. 16,431: the logophile's lexicon

Inspired by my ongoing maiden voyage through Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary (3/8/22), I dreamed last night of a definition for the word, "tuition."

Tuition, n. 1. the price one pays to acquire the inability to pay back an even greater debt.

That thought experiment led me to concoct the following, related definition for, "intuition."

Intuition, n. the price one pays for a mistake prior to making it.

I've previously spent most of my wordsmithing efforts on puns, but these could be fun too. I created the tag "the logophile's lexicon" should I chase any more down or should any more come to visit me in dreamland.

Here are a few more definitions for "tuition" concocted in the course of crafting this post:

2. the sum one pays for a summary of someone else's sums.
3. the amount one must acquire and count out in order to be taught how to count your acquired tastes

No comments:

Post a Comment