Wednesday, October 11, 2023

day no. 16,424 continued... Caleb's Request: a poetic verse commentary of the Authorized text

Judah’s children came to Gilgal
Caleb, son of Jephunneh, led
Posed to Joshua a riddle,
Placing Moses in the middle,
Citing every jot and tittle,
God concerning him had said.

“Forty years was I when Moses
From Kadeshbarnea sent me
To espy out and exposeth
Honey, milk, and all that groweth
And the evil that opposeth
In the land our Lord decreed.”

“A good report my lips confessed
Nevertheless my brothers balked
They melted hearts and withered chests
By telling taller tales impressed
A people prone to second guess
The giantness of God.”

“So Moses swore to me that day
The land whereon my feet had trod
Would one day see my claim conveyed
And know therein my faith displayed
As my grandchildren keep crusade
With gratitude to God.”

“And still alive, behold, I’m here
The Lord, His promise, has upheld
I’ve wandered boldly without fear
And kept His faith forty-five years
Now eighty-five, this last frontier
Will see its giants felled.”

“I am as strong this very day
As strong I was when Moses called
I’m now well-rested for the way
And battle-tested for the fray
This land contested still today
To see my name installed.”

“Now therefore make this mountain mine
And Anakims will meet their God
Their city gates I’ll scale and climb
Their confidence to fell behind 
Their vaunted strength by God I’ll bind
And under foot be trod.”

Caleb’s request thus completed
Joshua blessed and bid him off
Haughty Hebron was defeated
Its inheritance conceded
To the holy man succeeded
For he wholly followed God

— Caleb's Request
Postmillitant original rendering


*** based on Joshua 14:6-14

No comments:

Post a Comment