Friday, July 16, 2021

day no. 15,607: faux-vid 19? that's prediculous!

***the following was originally drafted circa April 2020 back when "flatten the curve" was still a trending topic

Celebrating the global pandemic that wasn't with 2.2 million cheers for the prediculous.

My take on COVID-19 is similar to what my take on eschatology used to be. I used to be pan-millennial. I wasn't premillennial, amillennial or postmillennial. I just knew enough to know it was all going to pan out in the end.

Now, I'm a postmillennialist, but to be more precise, I'm an optimillennialist. I still have the hope of a panmillennial, but no longer the indifference to apocalyptic verses.

So with respect to COVID-19, am I pre-demic, a-demic or post-demic? I'm Pandemic. It will all pan out in the end. Only that makes it sound like COVID-19 was a legit pandemic. Which it wasn't. The shamdemic, as Doug Wilson, put it, was the run of the mill with much better marketing.

By the by, has there ever been a more egalitarian, communistic mantra paraded before us in broad daylight than, "Flatten the curve"? Sounds like a slogan hot off the pen of Uncle Screwtape.

"What I want to fix your attention on is the vast, overall movement towards the discrediting, and finally the elimination, of every kind of human excellence – moral, cultural, social, or intellectual. And is it not pretty to notice how 'democracy' (in the incantatory sense) is now doing for us the work that was once done by the most ancient Dictatorships... For 'democracy”' or the 'democratic spirit' (diabolical sense) leads to a nation without great men, a nation mainly of subliterates, full of the cocksureness which flattery breeds on ignorance, and quick to snarl or whimper at the first sign of criticism. And that is what Hell wishes every democratic people to be." --- C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment