Saturday, March 6, 2021

day no. 15,475: Finneas is 9!!!

Finneas Haddon Foxe is 9 years old today!

I love being your dad. It is so much fun getting to spend so much time with you and watching you grow in wisdom, in stature, and in favor with both God and people.

You've recently adopted a pair of fingerless gloves that you never leave behind. I don't know when you came across them or how exactly, but now that you have, they are your right (and left) hand men. You have to be reminded to take them off during meals or when washing your hands. You love those gloves like a fat kid love cake. And I love that you love them.

You got a new pair of glasses recently and you took some getting used to them. They look good on your face and you wear them well. You are a handsome kid. 

In addition to your fingerless gloves, you almost always wear a hat. You usually wear a marine cap you got from Josiah, but sometimes you rock your Davey Crockett coon skin cap as well. You're quite the dapper Dan. I love watching you develop likes and dislikes that are distinctly yours. For the longest time, you've been kind of the caboose to whatever Atticus or Penelope were into. You were happy to join in on whatever they were into, so it was hard to answer the question, "What does Finneas like?" You were happy to go along to get along and I loved that about you as well. It is fun watching you begin to develop and pursue your own interests as you are growing older as well.

You are a really good illustrator. You have always had a great attention to detail. You always notice when one of mom's friends gets her haircut or something in the house changes. You notice things. And so it does not surprise me to observe that you are really developing your ability to draw. You have a great style to go along with your good eye for detail. You spend time and energy getting it just right and get frustrated when you can't get your head effectively on to the paper. I appreciate your diligence in that regard. I like watching you care and using that to hone your craft. 

You are a great big brother. You love Juniper and often spend time playing one on one with her and often look for opportunities to take responsibility for her in bringing her downstairs. Callista also really looks up to you and you like being involved in their games around the house. 

You like coffee and on Saturday morning Coffee and Cash time, you often ask for seconds. You have begun taking showers by yourself and doing a great job with then. The other day you even took a cold shower because you said you wanted to try to be a man like me. That was really sweet. I love you and like that you want to be like me. You are often the last one to give me a hug before I leave for my walks in the morning or afternoon. You always watch me walk down the hill from the front window and wave good-bye to me whenever I have to leave the house.

I can't believe this is your last year in the single digits. Next year, Deo volente, you will be 10! Time flies when you're having fun and having you around is a blast. You make everything awesomer. I often say that you have an eleven and we are all blessed by getting to have it at our dinner table.

I love you, Finneas. I always have and I always will. No matter what. Forever and ever. 

Happy Birthday! May you always know how loved you are and may that always produce gratitude and assurance in you to be the man God is calling you to be. You're doing great and it's only getting started. Can't wait to watch God grow you another year.

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment