Friday, March 5, 2021

day no. 15,474: waxpheme

On my walk this morning (3/11/20) I invented a new word, "waxpheme."

The Greek word blaspheme is made up of two words: blax (slow) + pheme (to utter, make famous). So the essence of blaspheming is a reluctance to utterance, a slowness to ascribe worth and/or value to something, or an unwillingness to acknowledge another's fame or glory. 

The opposite then, I propose, should be to waxpheme.

Wax meaning to grow and increase as opposed to wane. The chief end of man is to bring glory to God (waxpheme) and enjoy Him forever. We were made to waxpheme. I invented this word in thinking about several people in my life who I feel compelled to advertise. I want them to be famous. I want their influence to grow. I want to waxpheme their name and reputation in order to point more people in their direction. God made me to waxpheme His Name above all other names (Php 2:9) and to make others who love Him famous along the way. I never feel quite as fulfilled as when I am focusing my efforts on gaining influence for someone worthy of greater following than myself. I'm never more confident in being followed than when I am eagerly encouraging others to follow what I'm already following.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment