Saturday, February 20, 2021

day no. 15,461 continued... couchechism

I have implemented Couch Training intermittently to our evening "dad time" downstairs between dinner and family time that begins once Juniper is down for the night and Paige joins the basement band for our evening TV time (currently watching Mr. Bean) and then Story Club (currently reading Tim Chester's Dragons and Dragonslayers)

I got the idea of Couch Training from a sermon by Toby Sumpter on Training Up Children. (see below)

 

I've been using Couch Training time to practice drills and run plays as Toby recommended in this sermon: greeting guests, putting away toys, sharing treats, introducing yourself, performing roll call, chanting the two rules: (1) obey and (2) have fun, playing the telephone game, etc... I've also implemented a brief time of going over each child's full name and pointing out why we picked it specifically for them. Recently, I've also added catechism questions to the mix (Mackenzie's My First Book of Questions and Answers). 

As a result, I adopted the word Couchechism for this time, a combination of Couch Training and Catechism.

I love being a Van Voorst and refining what it means to be one and what it means to pass it along. 

Culture is religion incarnate.

No comments:

Post a Comment