Thursday, January 31, 2019

day no. 14,710: but only afterward

John 14:33
Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, "Where I am going you cannot come."

When Jesus spoke these words to His disciples, there was no way for them to get to where He was going. He was the way, but the road hadn't been completely paved yet or more accurately, the bridge hadn't covered the gap yet.

John 14:36
Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.”

By the time Jesus completed His triumphant march up to the throne and out of the grave, a way would be paved and completed that bridged entirely the gap between God and fallen man.

These two facts combined are in essence a foundational part of the Christian faith: there is no way for fallen man to reach God. We cannot be where He is. But by grace through faith in what Jesus alone accomplished once for all, we can follow Him to where He is now! A world without a cross cannot get across the chasm between it and God. Anyone on the cross can find themselves safely where God alone is. 

Psalm 24:3
Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place?

Only Jesus… and anyone who follows after Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment