Tuesday, November 21, 2017

day no. 14,274: slippery when whet

Psalm 7
As much as David's flesh was in danger, his soul was also. The lion's claws were aiming deeper than his dermis. They were threatening to tear his heart and soul to shreds. It is a vulnerable/spectacular place to be when you can say in clean conscience like Job, "I did not do anything in this particular situation to deserve this. If I have, show me my error. I will repent. I will gladly lay down my arms if I am, in fact, in the wrong. But if I'm right, Lord, stand up now and fight! Bring hell, fire and brimstone. Bring fury and wrath and rage. I stand opposed to those who will not be opposed by You, God. Those who will not stand down when faced with their sin, those who pursue me without questioning their motives as I have asked You to reveal mine.

God feels indignation every day. That is a stunning thought. God cannot be deaf or blind. He hears every cry produced by persecuted people. He hears every injustice. He sees it all. He peers into the hearts and minds of those who delight in wickedness. He cannot turn away. All is before Him. And He patiently burns with rage as He restrains His fury for the day the dam breaks and the deluge of fire bursts forth to purify and refine. God whets His sword. It may surprise some to discover God has a sword. It may shock even more to find out He is sharpening it so that it delivers more deadly blows. Those who live by the sword will die by the sword of the Lord. Vengeance is His and while for the moment we see merciful calm, rest assured a torrent of violence is growing increasingly just behind the curtain of history's end.

1 comment:

  1. 'He patiently burns with rage as he restrains..." I could use a lesson there.

    ReplyDelete