Friday, January 20, 2012

When God makes a promise

Psalm 89:28-37

28My steadfast love I will keep for him forever,
and my covenant will stand firm for him
.
29I will establish his offspring forever
and his throne as the days of the heavens.
30 If his children forsake my law
and do not walk according to my rules,
31if they violate my statutes
and do not keep my commandments,
32then I will punish their transgression with the rod
and their iniquity with stripes,
33but I will not remove from him my steadfast love
or be false to my faithfulness.
34I will not violate my covenant
or alter the word that went forth from my lips.
35Once for all I have sworn by my holiness;
I will not lie to David.
36His offspring shall endure forever,
his throne as long as the sun before me.
37Like the moon it shall be established forever,
a faithful witness in the skies.
Selah


God will discipline those He loves who stray, but He will faithfully pursue them, discipline them, cherish them, and pity them for His Name sake. Because He wants to. Because He has chosen to do so. Not because of them, but because of Him.

Once for all He has sworn by His holiness

His holiness. His promise. Once for all.

Feel the weight and beauty of that.

1 comment:

  1. i love to rest in this part of god's character - that HE'S walking the covenant between us while i'm sitting by or even sleeping (like adam or abraham)... it's such a comfort knowing that someone who's capable of keeping the covenant (read: not me) is the one actually covenanting themselves to keep it.

    ReplyDelete