Sunday, May 16, 2021

day no. 15,547: have scars, give wounds

While reading a biography about C.H. Spurgeon titled,  The Shadow of the Broad Brim by Richard Day I came across the following quote taken from Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress where Mr. Valiant-for-Truth says...

"They have left upon me, as you see, some of the marks of their valor, and have also carried away with them some of mine."

Christians are called to have scars and to give wounds. Simple courage gives and receives wounds. If no one is swinging at you, you're living too far away from the front line. Valor expects push back and pushes ahead anyways. Valor inflicts damage while enduring damages. It bleeds and draws blood. It does not fight because it insists that it cannot be defeated, but because it insists on giving its life, whether in victory or defeat, to fighting the good fight before it. Wounds are not the signs of failure, but of success. 

Some of Valiant-for Truth's last words before entering into eternity according to Bunyan were,

"I am going to my Father's; and though with great difficulty I am got hither, yet now I do not repent me of all the trouble I have been at to arrive where I am. My sword I give to him that shall succeed me in my pilgrimage, and my courage and skill to him that can get it. My marks and scars I carry with me, to be a witness for me that I have fought His battles who now will be my rewarder."

Galatians 6:16-17
And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Walking according to the rule of peace means putting yourself in a place where you get scars and deliver some as well. The way of peace winds near the violence. Peacemakers wield swords; peacekeepers, idle words.

No comments:

Post a Comment