Tuesday, May 11, 2021

day no. 15,541: vocation and location

On April 2, 2020, while reading a biography of Charles Haddon Spurgeon titled The Shadow of the Broad Brim by Richard E. Day, I came across a quote from The Puritan of Gramercy Park,

"When a man surrenders himself, he surrenders his job, and the geography of it!"

I was struck by this comment in thinking of my own vocation and location. I work at Shelter because I live in Columbia, MO. I live in Columbia because God called me to join a team called to plant Anthem Church. I was called to plant Anthem Church because I was at Candeo Church in Cedar Falls and they set out to plant a church in Columbia, MO. I was at Candeo Church in Cedar Falls working for the Department of Education because God called me to Cedar Falls from Story City in order to plant Candeo Church. In Story City, I worked in Des Moines in insurance because I moved to Ames a decade before to be in a band. God led me to Ames to save me and since then He has been leading me vocationally and locationally.  I am where I am, doing what I am doing, because God has led me. When a man surrenders himself to God, he certainly does surrender what he'll be doing and where, but he knows whatever he does and wherever he ends up doing it, he does it all for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment