Wednesday, April 7, 2021

day no. 15,507: for a rest and for a test

"God gives us Sabbath as a gift; it's an island of get-to in a sea of have-to. He also offers us Sabbath as a test; it's an opportunity to trust God's work more than our own... I'm not so important in God's universe that I can't afford to rest. But my God-given limitations are so real that I can't afford not to.-- Kevin DeYoung, Crazy Busy

Sabbaths were made for a rest and for a test. God gives us permission to set aside the daily grind in favor of a weekly feast. The work of the week leads up to a feast produced by the week's hard work. But it also demonstrates that we can take a day off without everything we've worked so hard to build falling apart. We build, but Got holds together. Sabbath teaches us to believe that by taking our hands off of it for a day. 

Adam's first full day on earth was a day off. He was made during the 6th day, so the first day he experienced from beginning to end was a Sabbath. We work from rest, not for it. And then we test our work by taking a break from it. God is giving us grace to go ahead, grace to get a break and grace to realize it was His work through us all along.

1 Corinthians 15:10
By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment