Thursday, September 28, 2017

day no. 14,220: flying in the face of God

Genesis 27:1-4
When Isaac was old and his eyes were dim so that he could not see, he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son”; and he answered, “Here I am.” 2 He said, “Behold, I am old; I do not know the day of my death. 3 Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, 4 and prepare for me delicious food, such as I love, and bring it to me so that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.”
 
Why is Isaac trying to bless Esau? Because it is who he would choose if given the choice. But to whom did God say the blessing would go? Jacob. So while one may empathize with Isaac's zeal to bless the child he loves, it should be noted that his attempts to do so fly in the face of the clear will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment