Thursday, September 21, 2017

day no. 14,213: where it really gets personal

https://utmost.org/the-secret-of-the-lord/
 
"What is the sign of a friend? Is it that he tells you his secret sorrows? No, it is that he tells you his secret joys. Many people will confide their secret sorrows to you, but the final mark of intimacy is when they share their secret joys with you." – Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, June 3, 2017
 
This is an incredible insight I have tried, tested and affirmed both in my own heart and in my experience in life, friendship, marriage, parenting and ministry.
 
Without question, I have heard more confessions of secret sorrow and struggle than I have heard of secret pleasures and joys. It takes a degree of vulnerability to let someone else see your hidden wounds, but it takes far greater transparency and trust to willfully guide someone to your secret treasures. What you truly like and love most is more the essence of who you are and would choose to be. So in keeping, it is often the most difficult thing to say out loud, even to someone who knows us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment