Friday, April 6, 2012

*SPECIAL* Easter Edition: What's so Good about Friday?

3 things to consider
John 10:17-18

17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”


John 16:32-33

32 Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

John 19:28-30

28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said ( to fulfil the Scripture), “I thirst.” 29 A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished”, and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.


We could not have killed God without His permission. Think about that. Jesus laid down His life. He is not a tragic figure of history. He came for this very purpose.

In the moment of His deepest despair and fear where brotherhood and encouragement were needed most, Jesus was left on His own and we scattered. Jesus prophesied this to his disciples and told them of their future cowardice and shame.

But Jesus says the most remarkable thing. He tells the disciples that He has told them this very news so that they may have peace. That seems strange to me because it seems like the worst news possible. It's like saying, "I know you are with me now, but when things get difficult you will abandon me and leave me alone." But Jesus said He was not alone. The Father was with Him. If the Father is with you and for you, who can be against you? The world. But who can defeat you? No one.

Jesus has overcome the world! He overcame death, sin, hate, violence, disbelief, abandonment, fear, cowardice, and the betrayal of His own disciples.

On the Cross, Jesus proclaimed, "It is finished!"

I believe Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment