Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The partial and the perfect

1 Corinthians 13:10

10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.


When Jesus returns, those who have followed Him will become finally fully like Him. In this life we are in the process of sanctification, but simultaneously seen now as perfect through Christ's righteousness imputed to our account. We are the perfect being perfected.

One day this will cease to be. When the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. So much of what I love and like about this world is partial. It does not necessarily mean I am wrong for loving and/or liking it, but it does mean that when the true substance that is often manifested in shadow and type appears, I will no longer desire the reflection in the mirror, but the substance giving life to that which I see reflected. Perhaps I said that in a way that is more complicated than it needs to be.

I love music, art, comedy, sports, etc... In this life there may be echoes of God's joy whispered in these (depending on the music, art, joke, or game being played). One day all of these fleeting joys will be consumed by the Author of music, artistry, comedy, and our bodies. There is something in these that reminds me of God and one day I will no longer have to wonder what that is specifically because I will see Him and in Him will find the satisfaction of every godly desire I ever entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment