Sunday, May 26, 2024

day no. 16,652: an eternal compass

“People want to make me a fixed star, but I'm not, I'm a wandering planet. No one should look to me for guidance.” -- Martin Luther

Stars are standards. They are fixed foundations. They can help you determine direction. In short, you can build something upon them and expect it to stand or depend on the guidance and expect to end up where you're wanting to go. People are like planets. They do not come with an anchor built in. People, like planets, may take predictable paths, but because of that, you can depend on them never to be in the same place for too long. You cannot build your life around your neighbor and have a life left. There are no inner compasses. Standards come from without. Compasses must be external to guide and eternal to do so reliably. The stars can guide us because they are outside of us. But even stars can fail. They may not wander, but they can wane. In order to have faithful, reliable guidance, we need something more reliable than stars.

Revelation 22:16
I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.

Christ is the better star. The star of Bethlehem may have led wise men to Him, but He leads all men to God. Follow that Star and you will find the Father of Light. But that Star did more than guide from afar. It came close. It forfeited no fixity by taking the form of flesh. Christ can save us because He came down. He was a fixed star in human flesh. Because He is fixed, we can hang our lives upon Him. Because He was flesh, He hung upon a cross. Because He is fixed, we can fix our eyes upon Him. Because He is flesh, we have faith that our flesh too shall see God.

Job 19:25-27
For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment