Sunday, August 6, 2023

day no. 16,358 that thou mayest live long

Ephesians 6:1-3
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Four score and five years ago my father was born on this day near Doone, IA.
Two score and six years ago my parents were married on this day in Orange City, IA.

If it were not for these two dates, I would not exist. By God's providence He brought my father into this world and by His grace He brought my parents together. He granted them fruitfulness in marriage and provided them with a son and me with life.

No one lives for their own sake. No one brought themselves into existence.

Romans 14:7-8
For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

The earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein (Ps. 24:1). Upon no one else does everything rely and for no one else will everything wait. The world goes on with or without us. It does not revolve around us or for us. It is His and if we are here, it is for His glory.

So praise God for life. Praise God for bringing my father into existence and his father before him. Praise God for my mother and for bringing my parents together into the covenant of marriage that I might be born into this world. Praise God for life, breath, and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment