Friday, May 12, 2023

day no. 16,272: the Christian laughs more at danger than the pagan does in pleasure

Yea, I will bless them as they bend and love them where they lie,
When on their skulls the sword I swing falls shattering from the sky.
The hour when death is like a light and blood is like a rose, -- 
You never loved your friends, my friends, as I shall love my foes.
To see this fair earth as it is to me alone was given, 
The blow that breaks my brow to-night shall break the dome of heaven.
The skies I saw, the trees I saw after no eyes shall see,
To-night I die the death of God; the stars shall die with me;
One sound shall sunder all the spears and break the trumpet's breath: 
You never laughed in all your life as I shall laugh in death.
-- G.K. Chesterton, The Last Hero

The Christian loves his enemies lives more than the enemies love their own and welcomes death more eagerly than the wicked welcome life. The Christian laughs more in the face of danger than the pagan does in the face of pleasure and hopes more in defeat than the worldling does in victory.

That on you is fallen the shadow,
And not upon the Name;
That though we scatter and though we fly,
And you hang over us like the sky,
You are more tired of victory,
Than we are tired of shame.

That though you hunt the Christian man
Like a hare on the hill-side,
The hare has still more heart to run
Than you have heart to ride.

 That though all lances split on you,
 All swords be heaved in vain,
 We have more lust again to lose
 Than you to win again.
-- G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

No comments:

Post a Comment