Wednesday, June 16, 2021

day no. 15,577: what's the matter at any given moment

"Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins." Psalm 25:18

"Note that all David asks concerning his sorrow is, 'Look upon mine affliction and my pain;' but the next petition is vastly more express, definite, decided, plain--'Forgive all my sins.' Many sufferers would have put it, 'Remove my affliction and my pain, and look at my sins.' But David does not say so; he cries, 'Lord, as for my affliction and my pain, I will not dictate to thy wisdom. Lord, look at them, I will leave them to thee, I should be glad to have my pain removed, but do as thou wilt; but as for my sins, Lord, I know what I want with them; I must have them forgiven; I cannot endure to lie under their curse for a moment.' A Christian counts sorrow lighter in the scale than sin; he can bear that his troubles should continue, but he cannot support the burden of his transgressions." -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

We want God to look upon our difficulties, but we need Him to remove our sins. We often pray for God to remove our difficulties and look upon our sins. We feel the pressing need to have our troubles removed, but we rarely perceive our sin as our largest trouble. The Christian knows the most troubling matter of any moment is our sin. Under its pressure we cannot endure. We can endure difficulty if we must, but we cannot persevere under sin. It will crush us. May God look upon our sufferings and eradicate our iniquities. May He make our sufferings no more difficult than He must and may He remove our sins as far as the east is from the west.

No comments:

Post a Comment