Tuesday, October 3, 2017

day no. 14,225: baby steps

Genesis 28:20-22
Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, 21 so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, 22 and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you."
 
Often our initial steps toward Jesus are clumsy. Here Jacob begins to lean in, but his heart is still clouded with caveats. His initial interaction with God is one of quid pro quo. As painful as this is to watch, it is likely akin to the place many of us who now maturely live began. There is a lot of good in this, a heart that wants to receive and to give, but it is a young, immature faith. That said, the smallest degree of genuine faith when present, even in an otherwise dirty soul, will eventually spring up to fruitful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment