Saturday, June 3, 2017

day no. 14,103: where the bride metaphor breaks down

Song of Solomon 4:16-5:1a
Let my beloved come to his garden,
and eat its choicest fruits.

I came to my garden, my sister, my bride,
I gathered my myrrh with my spice,
I ate my honeycomb with my honey,
I drank my wine with my milk.

Much of the language of love from Solomon's best serenade can be translated into the covenantal language of Jesus and His bride. But maybe let's hold off on applying that script too quickly to stuff like this. There is a part of literal, physical marriage that has profound figurative and spiritual implications. Oneness is both a physical act and a state of being, but one of those two things will occur between me and Jesus and the other most certainly will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment