Friday, April 10, 2015

day no. 13,318: graceless, godless moralism‏

Job 42:7-9

After the Lord had finished speaking to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite: “I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken accurately about me, as my servant Job has. So take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer a burnt offering for yourselves. My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer on your behalf. I will not treat you as you deserve, for you have not spoken accurately about me, as my servant Job has.” So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite did as the Lord commanded them, and the Lord accepted Job’s prayer.
Moralism makes God angry!
Job's friends offered many solutions to Job's situation and ALL of them involved Job DOING something to save himself from his circumstances.
That is Gospel-less moralism.
And God HATES it.
It elbows Him out of the picture and suggests that we can force the hand of God by our goodness.
In the end, Job's sufferings qualify him to offer a sacrifice on behalf of his graceless friends.
The very sufferings that those same friends assumed were a scar of disgrace on Job's life, were in fact the very badge of grace of God's continued presence and fellowship with Job.
Jesus suffered perfectly so that He could not only offer something in our place, but that He could offer His very Self in our place.
He is the perfect Mediator.
He goes between to incur the wrath and provide the perfection required for graceless people like you and me to be in God's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment